PLUS essentials is the newest educational offering from PLUS—an online platform that presents PLUS’ industry-leading educational content in an interactive and engaging format. PLUS essentials is perfect for young professionals, new hires and support staff, and anyone who need a strong foundation in the primary concepts of professional liability.
Each of the PLUS essentials modules are available on-demand at any computer with internet access, and take just 60 to 90 minutes to complete. The online presentation makes learning fun—the interactive text with integrated audio and video keeps the learner’s attention while the real-time quizzes provide instant feedback and proof of learning.
There are five PLUS essentials courses available to anyone interested in knowing more about professional liability insurance:
- History of Professional Liability Insurance (PLI) introduces learners to the need for PLI, the history of the industry, and how the industry is structured. From these basic building blocks, learners are introduced to the types of professionals who work in the industry, and some of the significant tort reforms that have changed it over time.
- Commercial General Liability (CGL) Insurance Basics explains CGL coverage and the historical development of liability coverage. Students learn the types of exposures CGL insurance responds to, the coverages it provides, and why it will not respond to PL exposures. Finally, it introduces Excess and Umbrella Liability Insurance and explains the similarities and differences between these types of coverage.
- PLI Concepts provides a glimpse into the features that are unique to Professional Liability Insurance. Learners discover how PLI policies work, who is covered, and how policies can be tailored for a variety of professional services. Anyone starting out in professional liability or moving into a career in PLI from other lines of insurance will benefit from taking this course.
- Introduction to Directors and Officers Liability Insurance provides an overview of Directors and Officers Liability Insurance, including key reasons why D&O insurance is essential for directors and officers today. The module covers how D&O policies work, the various sources of liability, including state and federal laws, Sarbanes-Oxley (SOX), and reforms such as the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act (PSLRA).
- Introduction to Medical Professional Liability Insurance provides a brief history of MedPLI and an overview of the types of facilities and individuals that MedPLI protects. The course reviews the two main forms of coverage—occurrence and claims-made—and why claims-made coverage is preferable for long tail exposures. It also touches on exposures that dentists and other allied healthcare professional employees face.
Learners receive documentation of successful completion of each course, and can take an exam to obtain Continuing Education (CE) credits. The exam covering the five-part program is available and approval of CE is pending.