Letter from Robbie Thompson, PLUS CEO
In North America alone we estimate there are 50,000 professionals in the professional liability insurance industry, and that number swells when we consider international industry participants. Today, PLUS has about 6,000 members and 10,000 participants in PLUS events and education each year. This means there is tremendous opportunity to reach that wider pool of professional liability insurance experts and truly fulfill our mission to serve all professionals in the industry.
In 2019, PLUS volunteer and executive leadership began to analyze the strength of the organization, the changes in the industry, the external environment, and forecasts for the future. To set the organization up for success for the next 35 years, leadership decided now is the time for a bold and innovative membership model shift around creating access to allow everyone in the industry to benefit from and participate in PLUS through our PLUS is More effort.
Starting in January, we are going to eliminate membership fees. For the first time in our 35 year history we are going to remove that initial cost barrier so that everyone can benefit by being a member of PLUS, at no cost. This way there is no asking for permission. No dealing with processing payments. And no limitations on who from a company can participate. Whether you have 5 or 5,000 employees of your company in the professional liability space, they can all be members of PLUS in January. Everyone in the industry can have access to the collective and shared knowledge of the PLUS community to the betterment of all professionals, all companies, and the entire industry. For everyone, PLUS is more.
PLUS is the only association built by and for the professional liability insurance industry and leads the way for the industry through:
- The most recognized, adopted, relevant and modern curriculum and designation program, the RPLU
- The fastest growing industry cyber designation, the CPLP
- The best and largest industry D&O event that is coupled with a growing cyber event, the D&O and the Cyber Symposium
- The only national and international regional chapter system serving the entire industry
- A not-for-profit foundation committed and taking meaningful action to serve tomorrow’s diverse professional liability workforce
- The longest running annual conference that combines premium thought leadership with networking and business development
PLUS is a strong organization. It has outstanding volunteer leadership, an excellent team of professionals, a healthy financial position, and a stellar reputation for content and events. Professionals in the industry need, and should have the opportunity, to experience PLUS. And PLUS should benefit from the collective knowledge, experience, and leadership from all industry professionals. We are excited about this change and its potential for our future.