There are so many fantastic volunteer leaders throughout the industry who step up to take on responsibilities with PLUS and beyond. They give their time and expertise in order to help others, and we couldn’t be more thankful for the work that they do. We asked some of these leaders about their experiences with PLUS, and are happy to share more of them with you here on the blog. These are the people that help make PLUS the organization and the community that it is.
The first post in this series can be found here.
- What is your volunteer role(s) with PLUS? I am the current Chair of the Future PLUS Leadership Committee. I am also a re-occurring member of the PLUS Conference Content Committee
- Why do you volunteer with PLUS? PLUS has provided numerous opportunities to stay engaged in the professional liability insurance arena. With the positions I have held with PLUS, I have had an opportunity to work with exceptional professionals and make connections worldwide. With the Future PLUS Leadership Committee and the sub-committees in the past, I feel I am truly making an impact in furthering mentorship, education and engagement within our industry.
- How has volunteering for PLUS impacted your career? Volunteering has providing me with greater understanding of the PLI industry and the great need for networking with my industry peers. Volunteering also showed me the importance of the education component that PLUS offers, especially through the RPLU program.
- What are some of your favorite things about volunteering with PLUS? Meeting new industry professionals around the country. By volunteering, I am able to work and collaborate with various professionals from different companies, which allows me to gain a different perspective in order to better serve my clients.
- What has been your most memorable PLUS volunteer experience? My work with the Future PLUS Leadership Committee has been monumental with my professional development. I was able, over the course of the past year, to collaborate with various PLUS volunteers to develop the Future PLUS mentorship program, which aims to provide guidance to Future PLUS members newer to the industry. Working alongside Erin Stephens and the rest of the PLUS staff has been great.
- What are you looking forward to in the coming months in regard to volunteering with PLUS? With PLUS waiving membership fees as of 2022, this will provide more collaboration with a wider audience of people. With the Future PLUS Leadership Committee, I am excited for the new projects were are working on to provide more engagement to the ever growing PLUS membership as well as expanding our mentorship program.
- What is your volunteer role(s) with PLUS? I’m currently on the Foundation Board. Previously I was on the Board of Trustees for 6 years. I served as the liaison to Chapter Council and the DEIA committee. Prior to that I was on the Conference Committee. Prior to that I was a Chapter Chairperson for the Southern California Chapter. I also assisted on the task force for Future PLUS and I’ve Chaired a Women’s Leadership event in LA and served on the committee that supported a WLN event a few years prior to that.
- Why do you volunteer with PLUS? It’s such an amazing way to get to know people, to learn about the insurance industry and to give back to the community.
- How has volunteering for PLUS impacted your career? It has provided speaking opportunities, many occasions to meet people I otherwise would not have met, work alongside industry giants to accomplish a common goal; it taught and is still teaching me a lot about DEIA and women’s leadership, and provided a terrific mentee with whom I enjoy a very rewarding relationship
- What are some of your favorite things about volunteering with PLUS? The camaraderie, meeting new people, creating events and opportunities for others.
- What has been your most memorable PLUS volunteer experience? Seeing the introduction and integration of DEIA and I always appreciate volunteering at Conference Cause.
- What are you looking forward to in the coming months in regard to volunteering with PLUS? Assisting The Foundation with programs and partnerships as we grow and develop to support tomorrow’s diverse workforce.
- What is your volunteer role(s) with PLUS? Over the years, I have served on various PLUS committees which led to becoming a PLUS board member and then a term as PLUS President.
- Why do you volunteer with PLUS? I love connecting with people in the industry, and I love the mission of PLUS to work together to make us all smarter and better at what we do, while also bringing along the next generation.
- How has volunteering for PLUS impacted your career? It has GREATLY enriched my career by adding meaning to my work and a better sense of connection to those in the industry.
- What are some of your favorite things about volunteering with PLUS? The people always come with such a good attitude! Whether we are learning together at a program, networking at a reception, or collaborating to improve our field on topics such as DEI, we seem to draw a crowd of engaged, motivated and fun professionals. Who knew that insurance professionals were so enjoyable?!? 😉
- What has been your most memorable PLUS volunteer experience? The Conference Cause volunteer activities associated with each Conference is always meaningful and a way to help others while also having fun.
- What are you looking forward to in the coming months in regard to volunteering with PLUS? Attending more IN-PERSON events sponsored by PLUS where we all can re-connect to learn, network and build a stronger industry together.
- What is your volunteer role(s) with PLUS? VP of the PLUS Foundation.
- Why do you volunteer with PLUS? The Financial Lines Industry has been very good to me and giving back is the right thing to do.
- How has volunteering for PLUS impacted your career? I have become aware of and involved with smaller, local charities across the country.
- What are some of your favorite things about volunteering with PLUS? Seeing the good work we do at the PLUS Foundation via Conference Cause and of course connecting with others in the Financial Lines Industry at the various conferences, luncheons etc.
- What has been your most memorable PLUS volunteer experience? 2017; my first Conference Cause. We hosted a Halloween Party for Lekotek of GA, A local not-for-profit that assists children with disabilities to both learn and develop self-esteem through play. During the party a very special young girl asked if she could wrap me in toilet paper like a mummy. 10 minutes later, with the assistance of a dozen of her friends, I was covered in about 15 rolls of toilet paper. We raised almost $60,000 that year for Lekotek.
- What are you looking forward to in the coming months in regard to volunteering with PLUS? Reconnecting with so many friends in the industry; many that I have not seen as a result of the pandemic.
A sincere thank you to all who responded to the questionnaire! Check the blog in the coming weeks for more answers and insights from your volunteer leadership, as well as other great professional liability content from your peers.