This is our second to last post on our wonderful PLUS Volunteer Leaders. We’re grateful that these industry professionals step up, sharing their time and expertise with the professional liability community at large. PLUS just wouldn’t be the same organization without them.
The first post in this series can be found here, the second post can be found here, and the third post can be found here.
- What is your volunteer role(s) with PLUS? Currently I am on the PLUS Foundation Board. Prior to joining the Foundation I began volunteering at the local level with the Eastern Chapter of PLUS. I was later a Secretary and VP for the Eastern Chapter. I was fortunate to have co-chaired the D&O Symposium in 2018 and 2019.
- Why do you volunteer with PLUS? I volunteer for PLUS because I find it rewarding professionally and personally. Volunteering for the Foundation lets me see first hand how PLUS gives back to various communities.
- How has volunteering for PLUS impacted your career? The networking opportunities PLUS provides has enabled me to meet and get to know numerous colleagues in the industry. The opportunity to co-chair the D&O symposium gave me the opportunity to work with and become friends with people I would not have met. Additionally co-chairing pushed me out of my comfort zone when I had to speak in front of a large audience. The ability to plan the sessions and work with the moderators and panelists was a once in a career opportunity I will be forever grateful for.
- What has been your most memorable PLUS volunteer experience? A few years ago the Eastern Chapter’s Charity was Monday Night Hospitality where we prepared dinner and provided table service to feed the homeless. The goal of the organization is to create an atmosphere of dignity and respect for their guests. It was wonderful to be a part of their community and speak with their guests during the evening while we served them. It was a humbling experience.
- What are you looking forward to in the coming months in regard to volunteering with PLUS? I am looking forward to helping the Foundation accomplish its goals for 2022.
- What is your volunteer role(s) with PLUS? I’m currently one of four Co-chairs of the PLUS Cyber Symposium as well as a member of the Cyber Educational Content committee. Previously I was a member of the Hartford Chapter Board and spent several years as the Chapter President.
- Why do you volunteer with PLUS? Volunteering with PLUS is not only a great way to give back to a part of our industry that has meant so much to me personally and professionally but it’s a great way to connect with other industry professionals that share that same passion.
- How has volunteering for PLUS impacted your career? It’s been a great way to expand connections and gain perspectives from industry peers and leaders that I wouldn’t be have been exposed to without PLUS.
- What are some of your favorite things about volunteering with PLUS? Definitely the people that we get to interact with. It’s great to meet people that are just starting out in their careers and have a chance to catch up with people I’ve years but may only see at a PLUS event from time to time.
- What are you looking forward to in the coming months in regard to volunteering with PLUS? Hopefully for our events this year we’ll have more chances to see both new and old friends in person at our PLUS events this year. Looking forward to it!
- What is your volunteer role(s) with PLUS? Member of the Future PLUS Leadership Committee, Chair of the New Member Engagement Task Force
- Why do you volunteer with PLUS? It’s a great way to meet fellow Future PLUS members, and to help shape PLUS for the next generation.
- What are some of your favorite things about volunteering with PLUS? Engaging with PLUS members that I would not have otherwise had the chance to meet!
- What has been your most memorable PLUS volunteer experience? Helping to organize the Future PLUS activities for the 2021 PLUS convention in Dallas.
- What are you looking forward to in the coming months in regard to volunteering with PLUS? Meeting with new members, and helping them to engage with PLUS and other members!
- What is your volunteer role(s) with PLUS? I’m currently the chair of the Mid-Atlantic Chapter, and I’ve been on the chapter steering committee for a number of years.
- Why do you volunteer with PLUS? I’ve been an active member of PLUS for nearly 20 years. PLUS has provided me with countless opportunities to advance and grow in my career. I consider it my responsibility to be a good steward of our chapter, so others can have the same positive experience that I did.
- How has volunteering for PLUS impacted your career? I’ve met hundreds, if not thousands, of people who have facilitated business opportunities, shared their industry knowledge, or offered me invaluable advice with respect to my career. I am grateful to all of them.
- What are some of your favorite things about volunteering with PLUS? Meeting and connecting with people on a meaningful level. PLUS facilitates an environment where people from all corners of the professional liability insurance industry can truly engage with each other. Many of the people I’ve met through PLUS have become friends.
- What has been your most memorable PLUS volunteer experience? I still remember the very first PLUS event I attended in Philadelphia nearly 20 years ago. Although it wasn’t a volunteer experience, to this day it’s my most memorable PLUS experience. It was that event, and the people I met there, that convinced me to invest in PLUS for the long term.
- What are you looking forward to in the coming months in regard to volunteering with PLUS? I’m very excited about the agenda of events our chapter is planning for 2022. The last couple years have been difficult for many reasons. Our chapter is planning a bunch of networking events that will allow us all to re-connect in person throughout the year. All are welcome to join us!!
A sincere thank you to all who responded to the questionnaire! Check the blog in the coming weeks for more answers and insights from your volunteer leadership, as well as other great professional liability content from your peers.
Leave a Reply